The Eastwest Recording Studios building was originally constructed in the 1930’s as an open plan, concrete wall and wood bow truss roof structure for the Cassius Grocery Store. It later became a recording studio in the Fifties and subsequently underwent numerous additions and alterations to the original structure and layout. Frank Sinatra recorded in studio 1, in studio 3 the Beach Boys recorded the epic album, “Pet Sounds," as well the Mamas and the Papas "California Dreamin'."
Derelict, the building was rescued from the auction block by our client, Doug Rogers.hughesumbanhowar directed a scheme which stripped all interior elements of the project from the building, revealing the original structure and spirit of the construction. The only thing remaining are the 5 analog recordings studios which were kept wholly intact. The building is a series of historical/visual/experiental layers: vintage on the exterior, fresh and new on the primary layer and again vintage on the inner layer. The project involved intense, successful dealings and negotiations with various city departments that retained original features, met current building code requirements and satisfied client use preferences.
The updated building program now includes a chef's kitchen, spacious lobby, multiple private artist lounges, exterior sun terrace, conference room and programming/administrative offices. The lighting is kept to a minimum in order to reduce the awareness of exterior time,
a preferred environment for musicians and their days long recording sessions.
Done in collaboration with/Starck Network
Los Angeles, California
20,500 square feet
Primary components: Extensive Interior and Exterior Renovation of Concrete structure/wood bow truss building: polished concrete, bamboo, epoxy floors, 20' velvet curtains, leather walls, fluorescent paint, black light, carrera marble, recycled rubber wainscott, painted canvas walls.